Pre-event Preparation on Campus
UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction Taskforce Established
To prepare to host the UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction, a taskforce was set up. It was chaired by Nobuyoshi Hara, the Executive Vice President of Tohoku University for Earthquake Disaster Reconstruction. He was supported by Vice Chairman Fumihiko Imamura, who is the Director of the International Research Institute of Disaster Science (IRIDeS).
- Established a project team composed of members from various disaster sciences related departments, as well as the special assistant to the president.
- Explored ways to effectively contribute the university’s expertise in disaster risk reduction and management.
- Proposed a post-2015 Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction
- Coordinated the communications and actions of participating departments and groups, including the Institute for Disaster Reconstruction and Regeneration Research
Collaboration with Sendai City
A liaison committee was set up between the participating departments and Tohoku University and the City of Sendai.
Upon request from the City of Sendai, Tohoku University provided support in the following areas:
- Participation in preparation committees
- Venue arrangement, preparation and traffic regulation
- Faculty members’ participation in plenary sessions and other forums.
Event participation by Tohoku University
Great East Japan Earthquake Forum
Coordinated by domestic organzations : 10 Events
Event participation by Tohoku University : 4 Events
Coordinated by domestic organzations : 282 Events
Hosted by Tohoku University : 35 Events
Coordinated by domestic organzations : 138 Events
Hosted by Tohoku University : 15 Events
Coordinated by domestic organzations : 63 Events
Hosted by Tohoku University : 8 Events
Coordinated by domestic organzations : 29 Events
Hosted by Tohoku University : 4 Events
* Data on events coordinated by domestic organizations was taken from the public forum programme on Sendai City’s website. Overseas organizations with offices in Japan are also included in these figures.
Event particiption by faculty, school or institute
|Faculty, School, Institute||Great East Japan Earthquake Forum||Public Forum|
|Exhibition||Poster Exhibition||Study Tour|
|Institute for Disaster Reconstruction and Regeneration Research||1||1||2|
|Tohoku University Library||1||1|
|Graduate School of Arts and Letters||4|
|Graduate School of Education||1|
|Graduate School of Economics and Management||1|
|Graduate School of Science||1|
|Graduate School of Medicine
(including Simulation Center for Medical Skills Training And Research (SIMSTAR))
|Graduate School of Engineering||1|
|Graduate School of Agricultural Science||2||1||1||1|
|Graduate school of International Cultural Studies||2|
|Graduate School of Information Sciences||1||1||1|
|Graduate School of Life Science||1||1|
|Graduate School of Environmental Studies||1||1||1|
|Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering||1|
|International Post-Graduate Program in Human Security||1|
|Research Institute of Electrical Communication||1|
|International Research Institute of Disaster Science (IRIDeS)||1||17||7||1||1|
|Center for Northeast Asian Studies||1||1|
|Institute for Exellence in Higher Education||1|
|Tohoku University Museum
(Museum of Natural History)
|Tohoku Medical Megabank Organization||1||1||1|
|Material Solution Center (MaSC)||1|
|Organization for Leading Graduate School Program||1|
|Resilient ICT Research Center||1|
* All faculties that contributed to the study tours have been counted.